Of all days to pick up something from PC Richards, the regional electronic store, I decided to pick up the sleeve for my wall air conditioner, I decided to pick one of the hottest days. Go figure, everybody who didn't have an air conditioner was at the store. It was packed! And if you AC was over a certain BTU, they had to bring it up from the back. Because mine was piece was in the back, I had to wait with these poor souls. After 30 minutes, I finally received my unit. I wasn't fully prepared and didn't have enough cash, so I had to carry it back, via the subway and then some walking in 90 degree weather and work clothes. The sleeve wasn't heavy, but the box was awkward. I made it home no problem, nonetheless drenched in sweat.
Before I headed into PC Richards, I took some pictures of the area surrounding PC Richards. It's one of the areas that is full of retail shops from Target to Modell's to Chucky Cheese and is owned mostly by Bruce Rattner. Additionally, for those who don't know, Bruce Rattner is the majority owner of the Nets. He's moving the team to Brooklyn and building the stadium in this area. There has been much hullaballoo about what he is doing there. He bid for the Brooklyn railyards, which are right around that area. On top of that, the commercial and residental spots around their were attempted to be bought out from their place by at least two times the fair market value. Some people stood their ground and wouldn't sell. Then Rattner tried to pull eminant domain. This seldom used law forces people to leave, at fair market value, or be forced out. It's still going through the courts.
I found myself torn. I am against it more than for it. I think he went about it wrong. At the same time it would be good for the economy. But, it would impede on my view of Manhattan and probably over crowd this area.
Here are some pictures of the area
Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment