Sunday, August 20, 2006

On the boat

Sunday was spent for the most part on the boat. In the beginning we weren't blessed with the best weather. We headed south down Lake St. Clair to go check out Kate's boat race. It was a little chilly and quite choppy. After watching the race we headed down to the Detroit River to go pick up Feras and Stu at Harbortown. The river was much calmer and it was starting to get a little warmer. While there were breaks in the clouds, we did his a misty rain on the way to the pick up.

I was able to see the development of the shoreline along the Detroit River. We passed several yacht clubs, a couple of restaurants, and surprisingly some housing that was along the river. I didn't even know that these existed, but it looked like they were there for some time. And it looked like they were building some more as we moved closer to downtown. I was also able to see the Manoogian Mansion, the mayor's residence. There were also signs for some additional housing and the construction of a promanade that went from downtown and would go along the river to Bell Isle, which is probably about 1.5 miles long.

After picking up F&S, we went closer to downtown and I was able to view downtown Detroit from the boat. The renovations to the Renaissance Center looked pretty good and it was starting to clear up. We headed back to the Lake St. Clair to watch the end of Kate's race. After Kate's race was finished we followed her boat back to the Bayview Yacht Club and went to the after race celebration.

We parked the boat and as we were getting off the boat, this old man was watching us park. He kept commenting about how Kev/Feras's boat was the perfect boat and it was the one he wanted and it was the best boat ever. Now keep in mind that, while their boat is really nice, there were larger boats right around us that this man ignored. We let him walk around the boat, then his kids came by and yelled at him for harassing us. Poor old man...

As we left, he was still admiring the boat, but we figured he'd do no harm, so we headed inside. We enjoyed some bloody maries and I caught up with Kate and her family and stu and feras. Three drinks later, the ceremony had started. It was now about 5 and I had a bbq at my family's house. We needed to make a quick jaunt out of there and hope that the the water wasn't as bad as it was on they way there. Unfortunately it was pretty choppy, so we had to move slow.

I arrived at my parents around 6, so everybody had been waiting for me. I apologized, but they were just happy to see me :) I caught up with my family, met my goddaughter's boyfriend. It's so weird, because I can't believe she is old enough to date, but she is! He's a nice guy, so I didn't have to harass him too much.

My friend Tom was away on vacation through Saturday, so he wasn't able to go out, but we were able to meet up on Sunday night. We headed to the local bar, Shores Inn and were able to catch up. Jeff and his fiancee Laurie also met up with us. Tom and I ended up closing the bar, but it wasn't even 2! Another full night and the rest of the week wouldn't be any less crazy!

No comments: