Now onto the big dance! I drove with Roy to the Woodbury Country Club. I tried to keep his mind off of thinking about the wedding and it was 30 minute drive, so it was hard!
When we arrived, plenty of the Lee family was already there. There was also a day wedding before Roy and Jess's, so they were leaving also. And on top of that another wedding was to start at 6:30. We all had to wait outside except for the bridal party. Finally, they let anybody who was taking pictures in and down to where the ceremony/cocktail hour was going to be. I led the Lee entourage downstairs (probably about 40 Koreans and two white boys). They came from all over the US and Roy said that a few of them came in from Korea!
As the pictures were being taken, I had to keep an eye on the bridal attendant and maitre' d because I was giving them the tips and Roy gave me a range. The bridal attendant seemed to be doing her job. The maitre' d looked a little frantic.
The groomsmen also had to help with putting one of the favors out. They bought fans and were going to place them on the seats where the ceremony was to take place. The only problem wsa that there were more chairs than fans. So, I came with the smart idea of putting them on every other chair. Clutch!
After the family pictures were taken, the waiting period began. The bride, her maids and the her parents were in one room and the groomsmen, Roy, and his parents were in another room. We happened to be near the stairwell where people were going down. It was about 7:15 when they started letting people downstairs. The maitre d wanted everybody (150 guests in total) to sign the guest book and head to the be seated for the ceremony. We had to started walking to towards the alter at 7:25. Clearly, point 2 wasn't going to happen because of point 1. I had to ask the maitre d how expected to start the wedding on the time. Points lost by the MD. Finally, I heard him say that he asked the remaining people to sign it later and be seated.
Luckily we walked out at 7:30. Roy's brother, Young, was doing presiding over the ceremony. He did a wonderful job and had a very consistent theme. And he poked a little fun at Roy. It's now offical, they are Mr and Mrs. Lee! I think our boy had a few sniffles. And Pete didn't lose the rings! The relief left Roy's face. The ceremony ended on time, which means the cocktail hour started on time. I had to run around and pass some tips around to the violinist and the florist's helper before I could have drink and get some eats.
The cocktail hour had a really nice spread and I think that many of the people filled themselves. Then we were called back in the rooms until we were announced. Then we walked in and formed a bridge for Roy and Jess to walk through. The MC went through all the pomp, starting with their first dance and then the best man's speech. Around 9:30, we had the salad. Then, they had some more dancing, then the mother/son and father/daughter dances, even before the main course. Jess's parents are ballroom dancers, so he taught Jess a few moves for their dance. They danced so elegantly!
Dinner came and went. I think everybody was so full from before that nobody finished their food and they wanted to do a little dancing. We danced until late and everybody had a great time. Wonderful party!
I want to thank Roy and Jess for letting me be a part of their special day. I've watched their relationship grow as Roy and my relationship has grown (the day Roy and I moved in was Jess and his first date). They were made for each other. Hopefully, soon I will be at the level and ready to take the plunge. When special events, whether they are weddings or others like birth or death, you tend to take tally of your own life a little more than you would in the normal course of a day. Roy didn't settle. In fact, he had to wait about 8 years for her to come back in his life. Whether or not I have met that person yet, I hold out hope for that day and do not worry about. It will happen and my plan is set up. I just wish it would happen soon!!!!
Sunday, August 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment