Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Atlantic Antic

What a beautiful day for a street fair! But this is not any ordinary street fair, this is THE street fair in New York City. It goes along Atlantic Avenue from 4th Avenue in Boerum Hill to Hicks Street in Brooklyn Heights, or about 1.1 miles. The cool thing about it is that unlike a lot of the street fairs, a lot of the businesses join in. So whether you are a restaurant, furniture store, bar, you are allowed to have a booth in front of your place. So whether it was Sahadi's, the bulk food store, which sold fresh nuts, falafel sandwiches, baba ganoush or the tapas place which sold fried sardines, you had plenty to choose from.

It gave me a good chance to see some areas that I haven't seen of Brooklyn and try some places that I wouldn't normally walk to. I went with my Prospect Heights neighbors, Paul, Peggy, Chris, and Erin. We spaced out our food and drinks throughout the walk and we took our time. It was a beautiful day. Mid 80s, no humidity, clear, blue skies. Local small business, political activists, tons of great food. We sampled some marguez sausage (north african), corn bread, jumbalaya. Of all days, I forget my camera, but I have one picture to share in honor of my name!

No comments: