Sunday, April 30, 2006

Black Gold

As I sit here and watch Meet the Press where they discuss the oil industry, I wonder whether or not it is better to live in New York. In terms of a possible terrorist attack in the United States, even though NY was hit before, it is still one of the major targets in the US. It defines the American mentality of capitalism, so why would it not be hit? Washington, San Francisco, LA, and Chicago are probably just about as prone for an attack as the NY. Real estate prices are astronomical in terms of buying (the average price is over $1M). However, I don't own a car. Quite frankly, I don't miss having a car. Not only because I see public transportation as a more efficient means of transportation, but also because gas prices are over $3/gal. Sure it might take me a little longer to get from point A to point B, but I read much more and I can get more done compared to if I was to drive to where I needed to get.

Who do you blame for the high oil prices? The Iraq War, the growing westernization of India and China, no true alternative to gasoline. No matter what our government would try to do, provide a $100 rebate for all Americans, tax breaks for people who use alternative energy sources, a windfall tax to oil companies, it will only be a temporary fix. My point is that America needs to ween themselves off the use of oil. Unfortunately, in certain cities and towns in the US, it is very hard. I lived in Detroit where there is no true form of public transportation. So, if you live in Detroit, Des Moines, Cheyanne, etc., walk somewhere instead of taking a car. Ride a bike. Talk to your congressperson. You'll help the environment, save some money. Imagine if everybody did this once a week. Demand goes down, prices go down, we send a message.

No comments: