Thursday, September 29, 2005

Another year another losing season...

As I sit in the center of the baseball universe in New York, my beloved Detroit Tigers finished another season under .500. This has been the case for the since 1994. I must stay strong and continue to root for them even though they continue to lose. They had a lot of promise this year bringing in a bunch of free agents of decent caliber, but it did not bring them over the hump. I still question why they traded away two of their three closers during this season (Urbina and Farnsworth). Maybe next year.

This year was not only bad because of their promise. They were near .500 ball until the middle of August. They just gave up. Should Trammell stay? I would give him another year, bring in a quality pitcher to join Bonderman and we could have a possiblity of making the playoffs next year.

To add salt to the wound, the White Sox clinched a playoff spot at Comerica Park and celebrated with champagne at our house. I believe that is the first time that this has happened during the lost years. If I was a Tiger that would push me the next year and if I was Trammell I would use that next year during Spring Training.

Of the Detroit teams, I have a certain fondness especially to two teams, the Tigers and the Pistons. I am a fan of the Red Wings and the Lions, but my mood is not affected as much as the Tigs and the Stones. When the Tigers do make it to the World Series, I will be there with the same excitement as when the Pistons did two years ago.

My friend Mike is a huge Lion fan about as much as I am a Tiger fan. Him and I have a bet that we made sometime in the late 90s. The bet is who will make it to the championship round of their respective leagues. They don't necessarily have to win it, just make it there. The win owes the other a case of beer. Either of us would be happy if the other won.

Mike (and any fan of the Lions) has had an even longer drought than the Tigers in making it to the championship game - 1957. My dad was at that game. He even has a souvenir of that game - a piece of the bleacher that he set free.

So now I have watch the BoSox and the Yankees duke it out yet again. My only excitement is hoping that the Evil Empire does not make the playoffs and is stuck at home after October 2, like my favorite baseball team...

No comments: