So, you know the show $40 a day on the Food Network? For those who don't know, it's a show hosted by Rachel Ray where she travels around the world and somehow spends $40 or less in one day on food. So, whether by chance or just because I wanted to try it, I did my own version of $40 a day Brooklyn, with the events of my day added in there.
Today was a very, very hot day. It was near 80 degrees at 10 am. Perfect soccer weather. I woke up to the blue skies and sounds of the Saturday morning crowd. I was starting my Saturday soccer league today. It was only exhibition, but I was looking forward to it. In order to make it to $40 dollars I had to eat breakfast in, but I tried not to spend too much effort in making my meal. So I toasted a PB&J in the toaster oven and had a glass of milk. So far $0 spent.
I met PP and we drove down to McCarren park in Willamsburg for the soccer game. I brought plenty of water - again from my water filter - $0 spent today. It was only 11 and it was hot. I met my new team got to know them. It was made up of (besides Paul and I), a German, a Brit, a Japanese girl, and a very cocky 20 year old. Today's matches were a tournament round robin style. The rest of the season will be a 13 game regular season set up with two divisions. Game 1 was at noon. We drew 0-0. All of us were getting our bearings. We definitely needed some work. We had a long lull until the next game and it was way too hot to stay outside so we went to grab some more water. We ended going in this diner and had a iced coffee and lots of water - $8, I paid for both of us.
We had spent enought time inside and need to get back just in case our next game was to start soon. It turns out we had a ways to go. It was about 1 our game was not supposed to start until about 1:45. Time to just chill in the shade.
Finally the time came and we drew the best team who is 7-0 over the last week. We picked up a few extra subs so we had some fresh legs. Unfortunately, they were the difference, because they led to the first goal, an own goal. For those not familiar with soccer, it's when your own team scores on yourselves, usually by accident. Unfortunately, the header went the wrong way and our guy was right in front of our goal and the goalie wasn't expecting it. We defintely outplayed them, but couldn't get back in the game and had lost 2-0. The second goals was in the last seconds, so it was much closer than the score indicated. It showed some promise for the season, considering they were probably the best team in the league.
The heat had got to me and I was sort of happy we didn't win, but the next game would have been hell! So we left McCarren Park and headed to Heights and picked up PP's girl and headed to Park Slope, the neighborhood west our Prospect Heights. We went to Loki bar and had three beers. Nothing like rehydrating yourself with beers...but still the total bill was $27 including tip - total so far $35, again I paid for all.
After the Loki bar we were hungry. After much deliberation, we finally decided on a place that the others had heard about, called the Habana Outpost. It's very unique. It's only open in the summer because it does not drain the electric power from other New Yorkers. It's solar powered everything. It even has a bicycle powered juice blender. It has all these little stands where people sell products that they have made by hand, almost like a flea market. If I had known we were going there, then I would have bought my camera. The best I can do is give you the link http://www.ecoeatery.com. Since it was not my turn, I didn't have to pay - Still $35. Weh had these parmesean/red pepper coated corn on the cobs and some Coronas. Man, was it unbelieveable. I know Roy would have liked it.
After PP received his $1/minute massage, we headed back home. I took a much needed shower and noticed my redness from lack of suntan lotion. Then for dinner I had the remainder of my General Tso Chicken from the neighborhood Chinese Restaurant, so techincally that was $4 - still under the $40 limit, at $39 and headed up to PP's to enjoy the sunset on the rooftop and have a few drinks and chill out.
So, all in all, a good day. I saw some areas of Brooklyn that I haven't seen. Had some good eats and good times. Now I need to prepare for another plus-90 day in the NYC.
Just think in one week, my boy Roy and I will be hanging out for his last single night after his rehearsal dinner... Feel better buddy!
Saturday, July 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment