Friday, December 29, 2006

The Translator

My cousin lives in New Jersey and he and his wife came into to NY with two of her friends to do a little sight seeing. The hitch on this one is that my cousin's wife, Franca, is Italian (born and raised), as were here friends. Franca can speak very good English, but her friends however, can speak little, if any English. This posed for interesting conversation, since I don't speak Italian. I met them after their bus tour and I greeted them with a simple hello. I tried to speak with them, but they weren't understanding what I was asking them. So, my conversation turned to Franca and Steve, and then Franca would translate any questions I had.

My sister ended up meeting up with us, so I was able to catch up with her. After walking around looking for souveniers, we went to dinner. The visitors from Italy had requested sushi, so I took them to Japonais, which had good reviews for good sushi and a pretty good scene. The food ended up being quite good, I continued to ask questions to Franca, which she in turned asked. I order appertizers for all based on the answers to the questions related to what they wanted. Luckily, body language is usually read the same way no matter where you are from, for the most part, and it seemed that they were pleased by my choices. The sushi was picked out them, so I would not be at fault for that part, and they seemed to enjoy that also. I had sent them back to Italy with a feel that would not be forgotten immediately!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The language of love is the same in every language!